Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all. On this day to remember and celebrate motherhood I'm reminded of a poem, "The Lost Children" by Randall Jarrell. I once gave a framed copy of this poem to my mother for Mother's Day. It's not a happy poem, but it is one that, in my opinion, grasps the reality of what mothers go through as their children become adults.

Apparently I'm not the only one who thought of this poem on Mother's Day. The entire text of the poem and some commentary can be found at Neo-neocon's blog, written last Mother's Day. It can also be found, with commentary at New Media Journalism @ Seton Hill University but that one was not Mother's Day inspired.

Take a minute to read the poem. It is somewhat long, but I think it is worth it. But I'll warn you, it always makes me cry.

No comments: