Friday, October 14, 2005

Celebrate Freedom - Read a Banned Book

My husband used to have a shirt that said that. It was then followed by a list of banned books, most of which he had read. Today's FFM challenge from Poliblog is this: Which of the The 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–2000 have you read?

I know my husband's list will be much longer than mine, but here it goes.

41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
51. A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

We own several of these books and my husband teaches many of them. I should really read more. I'm so embarrassed.

2 comments:

S said...

The idea that these books were banned is beyond frightening.

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Carrie by Stephen King

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell

S said...

I would also like to add an honorable mention: The Wind Done Gone, by Alice Randall, the Gone with the Wind parody that sent the Daughters of Confederacy into a tizzy. I understand that it was banned in Georgia.