Saturday, January 02, 2021

2020 Reading List

As we all know, 2020 was not a good year.  For many people, it might have been a good year for reading.  For me, it was better than last year (with only 9 books), but I still had long stretches when I wasn't reading.  Apparently reading was not my coping mechanism any more than sewing was.  I'm not sure I really had a coping mechanism, but I made it through the year in one piece, so that's at least something.  Without further ado, here is my 2020 reading list.

Books

  1. No Escape Claws - Sofie Ryan
  2. Civil War Sampler - Barbara Brackman
  3. Sojourner Truth: Ain't I a Woman - Patricia C. & Fredrick McKissack
  4. Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
  5. Alabama: One Big Front Porch - Kathryn Tucker Windham
  6. Claw Enforcement - Sofie Ryan
  7. Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier
  8. Tongues of Flame - Mary Ward Brown
  9. The Boyfriend School - Sarah Bird
  10. Lady Susan - Jane Austen

Short Stories

  1. "Neighbor Rosicky" & "The Sculptor's Funeral" - Willa Cather
  2. "A White Heron" - Sarah Orne Jewett
  3. "Babylon Revisited" - F. Scott Fitzgerald
  4. "Rip Van Winkle" & "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" - Washington Irving
  5. "Young Goodman Brown" & "The Maypole of Merry Mount" - Nathaniel Hawthorne
  6. "Rappaccini's Daughter" & "Bartleby the Scrivener" - Herman Melville
  7. "My Contraband" - Louisa May Alcott
  8. "The Queen of Spades" - Alexander Pushkin
  9. "A Simple Heart" - Gustave Flaubert

Four out of the first 5 books were read for Women's History Month.  

The last two books were read because of watching the movie version of the books. 

I got caught up on my Sofie Ryan series.  

I read Rebecca because it was on a list somewhere, but I forget what list or why I was reading said list.

Tongues of Flame is a collection of short stories that I read as an undergraduate and wanted to reread it.  It also led to reading the non-collected short stories, which I read with my husband (a retired literature professor).  I was thinking that I might want to try to write some short stories, but I never did.

No comments: