Sunday, September 24, 2006

Something to ponder

Since Sept. 11, 2001, I've heard a lot of people say that Islam can't really be a religion of peace if terrorist are blowing people up in the name of Islam.

I've also heard a lot of people saying that the United States is a Christian nation whose laws are based on the Ten Commandment (Roy Moore is the obvious example, but certainly not the only one saying it). I've even heard claims that our President is a Christian man who was put in the White House to do God's will (I don't believe it, but I've heard it said).

That said, I have to ask, are we really a Christian nation, at least in majority terms? Is this President really a Christian President?

My Bible encourages people to turn the other cheek. -Matthew 5:39

Even in the Old Testament Isaiah 50:6 tells us "I gave my back to those who struck me, and my cheek to those who pulled out the beard; I did not hide my face from insult and spitting.

Now I'm not saying that from a national political or international view point the United States could have just set back and done nothing after September 11th, but I am saying that our actions have been far from Christian.

I think that we should take some advice from Matthew 7:1-2. "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. For as you judge others, so you will yourselves be judged, and whatever measure you deal out to others will be dealt to you."

That bit of wisdom could take us a long way on so many issues.

Just something to think about.

No comments: