Rat poison was found in the pet food suspected of causing kidney failure that killed at least 16 cats and dogs, but scientists still don’t know how it got there, state officials said Friday.At least they are getting to the bottom of the story.
The toxin was identified as aminopterin, which is used to kill rats in some countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.
The poison may have been used on wheat imported from China, NBC News correspondent Tom Costello told MSNBC TV.
[. . .]
There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.
Friday, March 23, 2007
Speaking of Poison. . .
MSNBC - Rat poison found in deadly pet food