Monday, March 12, 2007

Thompson Considers a Run

WaPo - Actor Thompson Considers Role in Presidential Race
Thompson, who plays District Attorney Arthur Branch on NBC's drama "Law & Order," said yesterday, "I'm giving some thought to it, going to leave the door open," and said he would decide in the coming months. "It's not really a reflection on the current field at all," he said.

"I'm just going to wait and see what happens," Thompson added. "I wanted to see how my colleagues who are on the campaign trail do now -- what they say, what they emphasize, what they're addressing and how successful they are in doing that, and whether or not they can carry the ball in next November."

Thompson, 64, said he is pondering a run after former Senate majority leader Howard H. Baker Jr. and other Tennessee Republicans began mustering support for his possible GOP candidacy, citing his conservative credentials.
Yup, you heard right, actor and former Senator Fred Thompson is considering running for the GOP nomination for President. It is hard to say at this point whether he would have a chance or not. I've heard that a lot of the conservative Republicans feel like they don't have a good candidate at the moment and he does have some name recognition and some political experience. I'm not really familiar with his political background other than simply being aware that he was once a Senator from Tennessee, but he does bill himself as a conservative and seems to think he would appeal to that side of the aisle. I've never been a fan of his character on Law and Order, but then again, I'm not really his target audience. I guess we will have to just wait and see if he actually decides to run or not.

No comments: