Wednesday, November 30, 2005

MSN Hotmail - Message from the Democrats

This morning I received an e-mail message from the Democratic Party (I'm voluntarily on their mailing list) about freshman Congresswoman Jean Schmidt and her comments on Democratic Congressman Jack Murtha. Apparently many Democratic supporter had suggested reprimanding Schmidt by putting up billboards in her home district. The Democrats liked the idea
From this day forward, the Democratic Party will commit to putting up a "Shame on You" billboard in the home district of any Republican who attacks a veteran's service in order to score political points.

The actual billboard for Schmidt is intended to read as follows:
The first billboard will go up near Jean Schmidt's district office in Portsmouth, Ohio. The message: "Shame on You, Jean Schmidt: Stop Attacking Veterans. Keep Your Eye on the Ball -- We Need a Real Plan for Iraq."

I really don't know if this is such a good idea. I know it's all politics, but, to me, it just seems like tit for tat: political posturing to attack political posturing. Obviously the people of her home district should know that she "had the audacity to call Jack Murtha a coward on the floor of the United States House of Representatives" if that is how it actually happened, but I'm not sure a smear campaign is really in the Democrats best interest. I just hope it doesn't back fire on us.

Update: If you like the idea, you can donate here (it also has some of the information I quote from the e-mail message).

3 comments:

Tal said...

I personally think that it is a great idea. I posted the video of Murtha on MTP in which Russert plays the video if you haven't seen it. I was literally appalled.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making my day. I am here in Reno, listening to wwoz (New Orleans) on my media player, still in my p-j's at one, enjoying the sun streaming in, then you come in via your blog and now I am laughing at your profile and contining laughing at your posts. Thanks again. Kath (use to live in Al)








t

Unknown said...

It's a nice thought, but the idea that Schmidt's constituents have any idea about her political stances seems not to be borne out all that well by election results...

(Hey, any thoughts on Schumpeter or Oakshott? I just remembered that you had taken a Democracy and Power sort of class too, and those are two of the big ones at the end of ours... That and a wide smattering of post-structuralists like Mouffe...)