Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Oddly Enough, This Song Reminds Me

The first time I heard the song Doesn't Remind Me by Audioslave, it reminded me of something. (Ironic isn't it?) Over the summer we took a trip north, through Tennessee and Virginia, to visit my mother-in-law in New Jersey. We went through the Shenandoah Valley and went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while. While on the parkway, we stopped and walked on some trails. The kids were looking around and commenting on how the things they were seeing reminded them of things in the video games that they play. My husband commented on what a shame it was that the kids couldn't just enjoy the natural beauty around them without having it remind them of something imaginary and electronic. When I heard the Audioslave song later, it made me think about his comment and how nice it is, at times, to experience something that is truly new and doesn't remind you of anything else.

Also the last line of the song was particularly striking to me.
what's mine is ours
If it doesn't remind me of anything
It does seem true that it is hard to form a shared memory of something and make it really "ours" unless it is a new experience that doesn't hark back to a previous individual experience or memory that is shared with someone else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've got good taste in music :)..

Jan said...

Thank you :)