Monday, February 12, 2007

Clinton reception in NH

WaPo - Clinton's Search for Common Ground Gets Mixed Reviews in N.H.
Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) touted the politics of the possible Sunday during her inaugural visit to New Hampshire as a presidential candidate, a message that found an energetic but not ecstatic reception in town-hall meetings and house parties across the state.

Clinton veered away from drawing simple conclusions on issues such as the war in Iraq and health care, insisting that each is a complex problem that does not lend itself to a simple solution.
It is certainly true that there is no simple solution, and I believe I've made that very point here on the blog before. However, that is not what the American people like to here. We like for things to be simple and clean cut. Don't confuse us with the facts.

This quote surprised me a bit when I read it:
Clinton is sending a message to primary voters as well as to her opponents that governing -- unlike campaigning -- is about finding common ground and forging compromise, not making difficult promises. It's a message she believes is striking fear in Republicans. "I'm the one person they are most afraid of," she said during a stop in Nashua. "Bill and I have beaten them before, and we will again."
I suppose it makes since that she would want to draw attention to her experience in the White House as first lady, but to invoke Bill in that way seemed a bit odd to me. It's almost like saying he will be helping her do the job or something. Maybe that's just me.

No comments: