Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Franken for Senate

CNN - Ex-SNL comic Al Franken running for Senate
Outspoken comedian and liberal radio host Al Franken announced Wednesday that he intends to run for the U.S. Senate from his home state of Minnesota.

On his Web site alfranken.com the NBC "Saturday Night Live" veteran said he will vie for the seat now held by Republican Sen. Norm Coleman.

Franken also confirmed that he is running for Senate during his final show on the liberal Air America radio network. He announced last month that he was leaving Air America after his February 14 broadcast.
Well, it's not exactly new news at this point, but I guess this does make it official.

Franken had this to say about the battle that lies ahead of him:
"I'm not a typical politician," Franken said in an 8½ minute video message on his Web site. "I've spent my career as a comedian. Minnesotans have a right to be skeptical about whether I'm ready for this challenge, and to wonder how seriously I would take the responsibility that I'm asking you to give me."
I'm sure there will be skeptics. Going from being a comedian to a serious politicians would seem like quite a leap. I will admit, I did like his book Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. He does at least have some qualifications for the job
Franken is a graduate of Harvard University with a degree in government.

No comments: