Thursday, February 22, 2007

Property Rights and Murder

CNN - Jury takes just an hour to return death verdict
Bixby and his parents were upset that the state wanted a 20-foot strip of land near their home to widen a highway. Authorities said he and his father, who also is charged with murder, threatened to attack any officer who set foot on their property.

Wilson was shot on Dec. 8, 2003, while standing on the front porch of Bixby's parents' home. Authorities say Ouzts, who arrived to check on Wilson once radio contact with the officer was lost, was shot as he stepped out of his patrol car.
Now I know that John Locke argued that property rights were at the very center of the formation of society and what it stands for and all that, but this is ridiculous. I can't see how 20 feet of land is worth 2 lives.

I know that property issues can cause a lot of hard feelings. My dad got in a property dispute with one of his neighbors way back before I can even really remember and I think he still hates the man to this day.

No comments: